Wednesday 7 May 2014

The Social Network: Post Production Case Study

I have chosen The Social Network for a case study of its post production process and the elements/persons involved in this. I particularly enjoyed the film's subject as I felt the story of social networking to the level of Facebook is highly interesting, however I wanted to explore in more depth the process of it appearing on the big screen in relation to my studies.

Firstly I discovered the film had been shot on a RED ONE 4K camera, which records at 4096 x 2304 and achieves ultra-high definition. The crystal clear footage, I feel, makes the film feel real by allowing the audience to watch the film as if they are watching real life.

The film was originally edited on Final Cut 7, VFX conformed on After Effects and then imported into Adobe Premiere. this was done to allow real-time playback with all the effects of After Effects in action. These total over 400 layers and Adobe Premiere allowed the Art Director, Tyler Nerson to view this on a creative level and ultimately decide on the visual outcome of the film after the post-production process.

Adobe Premiere is not a programme I have had much experience using, but on completeion of my research I do feel it may be a media editing tool worth investigating and trying out, especially as it is said to integrate really well with the use of After Effects, which I have just began to work with.

The resolution and quality of the produced film were perfect for giving a rich feel to the chosen home media formats, DVD and Blueray and, therefore, A Social Network is another visual masterpiece for the accomplished director, David Fincher, to add to his resume.

Link:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/customer-stories-video-film-and-audio/postproduction-on-the-social-network/

No comments:

Post a Comment