Tuesday 6 May 2014

Avid Experience

Before starting this year I had only really had experience in using Final Cut Pro 7 during my work experience in Qatar. However, this year with the introduction of using Avid, both in university tutorials and during work experience I have acquired, I feel this is a much more precise and professional editing tool for use within the industry.

During the "Trauma Unit" exercise we were taught the basics of using Avid and useful keyboard short cuts for faster and more precise editing. During this time I also visited a professional editor that I found through my contacts who also gave me some handy tips on using Avid, including inserting filler and colour grading. I feel me and my partner, Joely, produced a basic but successful edit of the pre-recorded material however this was our first proper go of using the programme.

During the second exercise, "Car Theft" we learnt more complex techniques, including inserting titles using the title tool and animating text to appear on a frosted freeze frame relevant for a news article, as this footage was. We also learnt how to adjust audio levels which came in very useful as the sudio levels on many of the clips were too loud.

The final editing exercise, "Gaffer's Delight" was a chance to edit together a sequence with many different shot angles and choices. For each exercise we used a workflow of creating different sequences at each stage of the edit; assembly, rough cut and fine cut.

I feel my editing skills, both on Avid and generally, greatly improved during the tutorials and aided me to do a good job on the marked pieces I had to do following the completion of these exercises.

I was chosen to edit some of the VTs for the studio production, Dare To Flair. The editing skills I had picked up, particularly the use of the audio mixer, came in very useful as most of the sound recorded was very loud. My producer and director were very pleased with my editing and it was a good experience to put my skills into practice for something to be used in front of an audience.

My greatest challenge with using Avid was when I was presented with over 5 hours of non-media managed footage for the drama I was meant to edit. The group gave me the footage but wanted a rough cut for the next day. As I was editing Dare to Flair at the time this was a hugely difficult task to expect from me however I did manage to create an assembly for the group in time. The drama group were not happy with this and decided to edit it themselves on Final Cut Pro 7 without any communication with me, which I feel was very unprofessional. I feel the final product would have been much better edited on Avid with more patience from the group in order to allow me to do a good job with their footage, however I think maybe they will consider this in the future as I feel using Final Cut Pro 7 is not good practice for work in the industry.

I am very proud of my editing on my long shot short film, Human, however. I used many layers of audio and used the audio mixer to create a smooth flow of sound when mixing background noise, backing music and voice over. I also enjoyed using the short cuts and skills I had learnt from the Avid tutorial exercises and even followed an online tutorial in order to learn how to produce rolling credits with the use of the marquee tool. The edits are just the right length to keep the pace of the short film slow yet interesting up until the climax in which the pace is quickened despite the use of the 90 second long shot. I achieved this by adding quick paced sound effects in the background and using flash frames to add intrigue and tension to the ending.

My Avid skills have also come in very useful during my work experience with the Global People Project, as I have produced many sequences for the directors that have actually been used in presentations to companies to showcase their project. During this work experience I have also learnt how to subtitle and adjust the size of text for the foreign answers.

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed the entire process of learning Avid, from learning to using it in a professional environment and it has definitely encouraged me to pursue a career as an editor in the industry.

Links:
Trauma Unit Exercise: https://vimeo.com/93383998
Car Theft Exercise: https://vimeo.com/93383520
Gaffer's Delight Exercise: https://vimeo.com/94339156

No comments:

Post a Comment