Tuesday 6 May 2014

Promotion of Own Films Online

Throughout the year, I have felt the urge to share my video creations with the people I know and people I have worked with. Most of my contacts are on Facebook and I feel this is a great way to spread your work however simply uploading the file onto Facebook can be rather difficult due to file size and specification deadlines. I also had this problem when trying to upload to Vimeo and Youtube.

I feel it is better to have an online video channel and so I set up a Vimeo account. This has very tight specifications for file size in particular but has a very useful section on the format and specifications of how to export your video from your editing software (in this case I was using Avid). This was fine for exporting some of the shorter, smaller sequences however for my short film, Human, the file was still too large for uploading to Vimeo. With a little research I found a very easy, convenient way to shrink files in size without compromising on resolution and quality.

By simply running your video through Windows Movie Maker and exporting it again, the file size is reduced by nearly three quarters and remains of the standard I wanted to export the video as. This then allowed me to upload to Vimeo successfully for all my friends and family to see. I also posted the link to both my work and unprofessional Facebook (I find it is best to have two to keep up a good reputation with both peer groups) and have received a lot of good feedback as a result.

I think online sharing of work is very important from a progressive media platform perspective as it allows more people to view and judge your work, and even share it to others all over the world if they think it is a good piece. I am very glad I set up a Vimeo account as it allows both me and my friends to keep track of my work and is kept online so there is no need for keeping multiple versions on hard drives, taking up space.

Link: https://vimeo.com/user23540655/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment